- New menu items
- Old favorites get a flavor upgrade
- Easier to order menu boards
- New packaging
- Exciting new coffee partnership
Last Fall we hired Chef Phil Fox to continue to push our menu forward into new realms of healthy. Our commitment to providing quick, healthy options has never been stronger. We have taken some of our most popular items and made them better, discontinued items we couldn’t take to the next level, and introduced new items that continue to deliver on our promise of quick, healthy, and flavorful options.
Introducing…the newest members to our menu family
- Memphis Salad—Our take on BBQ done healthy
- Newport Salad—This salad will remind you of a sunny coastal day
- Vegan Superfoods Salad—An antioxidant-packed salad with 3 of the most powerful superfoods in the world
- BBQ Bar-rito
- Pepita Spice Breakfast Bowl
- Breakfast Egg White Scramble Bowls
Old favorites get a little flavor enhancement
- Each of our dressings has been meticulously crafted and reworked to pack major flavor with less calories
- Our Super 6 Salad Mix now features fresh kale—one of the world’s most powerful superfoods!
- Our bar-rito ingredients will be mixed in a bowl and piled in to the low-carb wrap versus just layered on the wrap. Our Signature Bar-rito recipes will all have enhanced flavor from some recipe changes
- Our house-seasoned black beans have a new recipe for more flavor
- Our Greektown Bar-rito now features a Vegan Greek dressing (instead of Greek Yogurt) and house-made hummus so it’s vegan friendly
Easier-to-Order menu boards
- We’ve redesigned our menu boards to be easier to read with dark, warm colors and less words
- We’ve made the protein choice automatic, based on popularity. We’ll no longer be asking “Would you like chicken, beef or tofu on that?” Of course, if you’d like to swap out all-natural chicken, organic beef, or marinated tofu for each other, please do!
- We now will post the total calories and total grams for the 4 most basic nutrition elements (protein, fat, carbs, and fiber) and in the coming weeks, we will be launching a Nutrition Calculator on our website which will allow you to see exactly what happens to our nutrition info when you customize your item how you want it.
New packaging designed for functionality
- Our quinoa bowls now come in our white logo bowls—which stand up to heat longer and are better in delivery and though they look different, they hold the same amount as our old bowls
- We’ve switched to salad bowls that are easier to eat from, mix ingredients better, and work better in delivery
- Our breakfast bowls are now served in bowls more appropriate for the portion served
Our new partnership with Counter Culture Coffee is based on a mutual respect for coffee farmers, organic products, a healthy environment, education, and a need for an amazing cup of coffee. We will be featuring the FARMHOUSE blend which is an organic, direct trade coffee that changes seasonally to serve up the very best beans of that season. We looked high and low for partner in our coffee program and loved what the team at Counter Culture is doing. They will also work with us to bring our new ESPRESSO program to our newest location at State and Lake.
While the changes above are all positive, there are a few tough calls we had to make to ensure we continue to serve the most nutritionally-relevent products we can and continue to deliver to on our mission of “changing the way people eat on the go.”
The food industry saw massive price increases in 2011 as a result of rising commodity costs and under-supply of wholesome food to the world. We resisted the urge to raise our prices in hopes that the costs would come down but in fact they have continued to rise. For example, just since June, prices have risen substantially on some of our most-used ingredients such as black beans (+6.5%), steel-cut oats (+14.4%), and romaine lettuce (+8.2%).
Instead of switching to lower cost (and ultimately lower quality ingredients), we decided that our commitment to serving the best possible products was what our customers wanted—even if it meant a slight price increase on some menu items. That being said, we still have priced appropriately and even lowered the price on many items.
We also took a hard look at the nutritional profile of our products. As a result of this, we had to eliminate some items that we just did not think offered the type of nutritional balance we want to serve to our customers. We had to eliminate our granola bowls, which despite being delicious, did not offer customers the right balance of protein, good fat, and healthy carbs that we strive for. The same thing went for some specific menu items, such as our popular Harvest Salad, which was reformulated to the Newport Salad.
The reformulation of our menu items also meant a change to our nutritional information. We continue to use a meticulous third-party software program to catalog and calculate our nutrition information, but you may notice slight changes to the nutrition information of some of your favorite menu items. Our goal in posting our nutrition information remains the same as it has since we opened our first store on May 18, 2009—give our customers the information they need to make the best nutrition choices for them.
With all of these changes, there are still many things that haven’t changed
- Our commitment to helping active, on-the-go people get the fuel they need to tackle the world
- Our focus on serving the very best ingredients we can find
- Our use of antibiotic-free chicken
- Our use of local, organic, free-range 100% grass-fed beef
- Our use of organic quinoa and steel-cut oats
- Our whole wheat flax seed low carb low calorie tortillas
As a local business, we thrive with the support of you—our customers. We know we will only get your support and trust by evolving our business, remaining transparent in all we do, and striving to continually improve. A lot of the changes we have made are based on feedback from you and we listen—so please share your thoughts with us as you sample some of our exciting new menu options.
In Good Health,
Matt, Mike, Chef Phil and Protein Bar